Thursday, April 23, 2009

Vlog #21: A Little Backstory... Bibis Part 2

hey guys! Sorry this came pretty late today. Hilarie has been throwing me off by these early-morning posts! On week days, I'm not home until about 3 p.m (Eastern time)... So whenever there is an early post I will usually post it around then..

but anyways, check out the kick ass interview!


[Hilarie and Bibis are sitting on a couch]

Hilarie Burton: Hey, what’s up guys? Hilarie, hanging out here with Bibis. We introduced you to her a couple days ago. We went and hung out with you in a bar. This is way more calm. That’s a rowdy place that you play at.

Bibis: It is.

HB: You play at a lot of rowdy places all over town, right?

B: All the time. Five or six nights a week.

HB: Yeah, see but you look so innocent right now. I was joking that we’re dressed as good and evil.

B: You have no idea.

HB: [making a face] Which one’s evil? So, you played a song for us, one of your original songs, and I was introduced to you through the boys in He Is Legend.

B: Yup, that’s right. They’re good friends of mine.

HB: They’re very good friends of mine, too, you know. They were some of the first people I met when I moved to Wilmington, and they were a part of the reason you moved down here, right? I mean, you were doing a lot of stuff with them. You’re on their record.

B: I am, I am. Their new record, I sang on. I was living in Chapel Hill at the time, and they asked me to be a part of their record, and I came down here, and I just sort of, met other people who would be good contacts, and I got a job. And it was a great job. So I moved!

HB: Yeah, dude, I remember them talking about you before you ever came down here. They were like “Bibis, Bibis” and I was like, “Bibi – what? Bibi- who? I don’t…” It’s Bibis. Where did you parents get that name?

B: My mom is an artist, and my dad is a musician.

HB: Oh, perfect!

B: And that is the only story that I’ve got.

HB: Were they hippies?

B: Yeah.

HB: Yeah? So you were saying your dad, obviously, is a musician, you told us that last time that we talked. Who were some of the people that you grew up with, like, listening to in the car? Or who is somebody that really shaped your sound?

B: Oh, goodness. You know, it was always really funny in school because I never knew any of the popular artists that were being played on the radio because I had…

HB: Dude, I hadn’t either! I was so square. MC Hammer? What’s that? [laughs]

B: No, I only learned about MC Hammer two years ago. [laughs] I grew up with a lot of Eric Clapton and a lot of the Allman Brothers, and a lot of just, really classic rock’n’roll, a lot of southern rock, honestly. And a lot of classic R&B, too. I mean, you know, Otis Redding put me to bed every night.

HB: Oh, right? I used to drive around with my dad in the middle of Virginia, going to play practice, and just listening to Wilson Pickett and Otis Redding, and to hear these stories, and feel like a mean old man, that’s why I’ m evil now. So, yeah, you have the song that we posted for everybody, called “Foxes,” right?

B: Yeah.

HB: And then, I remember the first time I saw you play your own stuff… I had seen you play cover stuff… It was at Soapbox, and I just happened to be there. [to camera] Soapbox is a half laundry-mat, half venue in Wilmington here. And you were up on this little stage, singing all by yourself, and I’m like, “Why the hell didn’t I know about this? This is awesome!” You know? So, ever since then we had been talking about putting you in the studio, but, we’re really doing it now, you guys! We’re picking out – what do you want to do? – like five or six songs? Something like that?

B: As many as you want to let me.

HB: We’ll just keep going!

B: We’ll just keep going!

HB: So we’re going to put her in the studio. We’ve got some really great sound facilities here in Wilmington. We are going to get some professional recordings of these amazing original songs. You’re also doing the music for Pedestrian, a cover song that will remain nameless… So, you’re doing music for the film, you’re going to be recording some of your own stuff, and then we’re going to put it out there for you guys! And I promise you, you’re gonna love it. Look at the girl. She’s perfect!

B: I hope you love it!

HB: She’s perfect! So, keep an eye out, and she’s going to keep hanging out with Nick, Kelly, and I, and we’ll keep you updated, and maybe we’ll trick her into singing for you some more here and there. So, until then, see you guys later!

B: Bye!

HB: Bye! 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you (again), this vlog was more difficult for me to understand so your transcript means a lot... besos.

    V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nicole ! This vlog was more difficult than the others and you helped me alot !
    Merci !

    ReplyDelete