Saturday, May 16, 2009

Vlog #28: Community Theatre... webisode?

I had a lot of fun transcribing this one, so go watch! It has exciting news!

[Hilarie is sitting on steps, playing with an action figure]

Action figure: Well hello Mr. Fancy Pants!

Hilarie Burton: Hello Bruce.

[Nick comes down the steps and sits next to Hilarie]

Nicholas Gray: Hey Hil! What’s up?

HB: Hi Nick. How are you?

AF: Well hello Mr. Fancy Pants!

NG: Better now!

HB: Yeah, right? I’m hanging out here with Nick and [referring to action figure] Bruce Campbell. For those of you who don’t know, be ashamed of yourselves. This is Ash from ‘Evil Dead’ and my favorite, ‘Army of Darkness.’ Probably one of my favorite action heroes of all time, and we were fortunate enough, in the town of Wilmington, North Carolina, to have one Nick Gray here direct ‘Evil Dead: The Musical.’ You did so good!

NG: It was fun. It was a fun experience.

HB: How many community theatre shows have you directed, Nick?

NG: Just really that one here. I mean I helped on a recent one, ‘Pot Mom.’

HB: ‘Pot Mom.’ It’s so…

NG: About marijuana!

HB: Oh, taboo! [laughs] Yeah, we both have a lot of experience in the theatre. I started younger than you though. When did you start doing theatre?

NG: Not until college. We didn’t… in my high school and in my community, as far as I know, there wasn’t any kind of theatre going on. So not until I went to college…

HB: You were so deprived!

NG: That’s when I wanted to be a star!

HB: Yeah? That’s when you broke out? What day was that? Was it a particular Tuesday where you just woke up and said ‘I gotta dance!’ you know?

NG: Yeah, I gotta work this out. I gotta see where I can…

HB: Where you can moxy? [Nick agrees] Okay, cool. I started doing theatre when I was in elementary school, and it makes you a nerd when you are that little and all your friends are in your forties, and you’re… eight. So, I think community theatre, or just theatre in general, has had a big effect on us, which is why… [mumbles to Nick] Do you want to tell them, Nick?

NG: Yeah, we like community theatre so much, that we are doing a web series about it.

HB: [gasps] Get right out of town!

NG: We are!

HB: I mean, it’s gonna be pretty fun.

NG: I mean, for those of you who don’t live in this world of community theatre, there is a lot that lives in there.

HB: It’s true, and it’s not all the caricature like ‘Waiting for Guffman,’ you know, I mean there’s some serious stuff!

NG: No, I mean the best thing about community theatre is that everything else besides the show, is more important than the show.

HB: That’s true. Who’s kissing in the dressing rooms… Oh, I love it when the costume designer makes the costumes too small so the lead woman feels fat! That’s such a good trick! I never did that… or maybe… Yeah, I mean there’s lots of fun stereotypes. What’s some of your favorites?

NG: Well I really like… usually there’s a little 12-year-old that’s running around, knows more about the theatre than anybody else there…

HB: Yeah. Buster. Skip.

NG: Buster. Skip. Kip…

HB: Yeah.

NG: I love, um, mean girls…

HB: Bitches?

NG: Bitches.

HB: We do have bitches. Like the mean wardrobe girl… Can I just play that? No, I’m playing something different. [Nick makes a questioning noise] Or am I? [puts action figure in front of her face and whispers to Nick] Shh! What am I doing? [takes action figure down] Alright, Nick… he’s still creating right now. And then, I also like the old broads, like the really old broads, that can tell you about the ghosts in the theatre, and also, you know, who played the part before you better ten years ago. That’s my favorite. So yeah, we are gonna do this really fun web series but, like we said earlier, we need you guys to continue to write in and give us information about you as consumers because we have to sell the show, and get ad dollars to pay for it. So, continue to tell us what products sway you!

NG: [suddenly] Do you remember when I was a theatre reviewer here in Wilmington and everyone wanted to murder me?

HB: Yeah…

NG: Bye guys.

[silence until Hilarie bursts into laughter]

2 comments: